Re: switching from exim to postfix

On 2012-05-01 18:55:20 +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 12:48:10AM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > I think it would be useful to describe what issue(s) there are concerning
> > 8BITMIME and why this is important.  I've found some information [1] about
> > this, but it isn't clear what problems are actially *caused* by the lack of
> > 8BITMIME support by default in Exim.  Is it just slow sending of outbound
> > attachments?
>
> It's both extra traffic (not that much if western encodings) and extra
> cpu work. In lesser annoyance, it means that you no longer can read
> mailbox files with non-mime capable readers (for example less) with ease,
> as there will be qp encodings here and there. People who only use english
> only hit the issue when having lines longer than 76 characters.

It might also affect spam detection.

Now, the main reason I dislike Exim is

Basically, when invoked as sendmail, Exim breaks the sendmail
compatibility by keeping the Bcc header, involving security
and/or privacy problems. And since this is by design, it won't
be fixed.

BTW, since it must accept 8-bit mail via this interface, it is
also broken as the mail may be sent to a MTA that doesn't announce
8BITMIME, since Exim doesn't know to do the conversion. :)