Re: switching from exim to postfix

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 07:18:54PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Apr 29, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> > The giant endless flamewars on debian-devel required to make a decision to
> > change anything.  :)
>
> Unrelated: you have just shown what poisons Debian and has been keeping
> us behind innovation for the last years.
> Not the flamewars themselves, most of us are grown ups and can handle
> them, but the fear that proposing a change will cause endless
> discussions and no results.

Still unrelated, but let me AOL the above. Russ was just joking, but I
completely agree with Marco's point here. We're often scared of
"starting a thread on -devel" to propose changes that are far reaching
enough not to be directly implementable. Every now and then I got asked
advice on whether proposing some change on -devel is a good idea or not.
I'm always happy to give advice, but the fact we sometime worry to
propose changes is worrisome in itself. And it can induce project-wide
inertia as much as worrying too much about performing NMUs to fix bugs.

But we also need to convince ourselves that -devel discussions are
useful and lead to progress. For that to happen, we need more people
that look back at past discussions, summarize their conclusions (if
there have been) or relaunch them (if not), and take concrete actions as
the natural next step of discussing. There are people doing that, but
not nearly enough.

Cheers.