Re: switching from exim to postfix

* Joey Hess [2012-04-29 14:22 -0400]:
> Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > It's insane to even think of switching one full featured MTA against
> > another full featured one. It feels like "gosh, i dislike $onepiece,
> > lets all move to $differentpiece", though both are bad as default.

Looks like the DragonFly Mail Agent (dma), which already has been
mentioned in this thread, could become a decent default for Wheezy+1
after some small changes.

In a nutshell: it's able to deliver locally and remotely, has a queue,
supports TLS/SSL, does not listen on port 25 and instead of running as
daemon, it if run every 5 minutes via cron to flush the queue.  Maybe it
could be changed to use incron and not cron on Linux.  It's
README.Debian contains more verbose information.

It currently lacks support for .forward files, ignores -bs, misses -F,
ignores -om and the newaliases command exits with 1 if run without
arguments.  I'm nore sure if the latter two are problematic.

> Yeah, Debian has certianly never done that before ..
> (Remember smail? It's still mentioned in Policy even!)

JFTR: According to [1] and [2], the reason to switch away from smail was
that exim are easier to configure.

 [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1998/11/msg00415.html
 [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1998/11/msg00489.html

> > If you really want to invest work, the time is much better spent in
> > getting one of those tiny replacements a default. And then anyone who
> > wants/needs a real one can change. Much more useful that way.
>
> That would be a fairly viable route. Although it slightly begs the
> question of what task-mail-server would then pull in instead.

If there will ever be a Debian user survey (again?), this question would
be a good fit.  At least GRML did user surveys in the past:
http://grml.org/survey2011-results/

Carsten