Re: question about "Conflicts:"

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:35, David Kalnischkies
<kalnischkies@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:17, Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@aixigo.de> wrote:
>> How can I tell a Debian package to conflict with a real
>> package "foo", but not with other packages providing "foo"?
>
> That is easy: You can't.

I meant to include a relative important footnote here:
debian-policy §7.5 actually says:
"If a relationship field has a version number attached, only real packages
will be considered to see whether the relationship is satisfied
(or the prohibition violated, for a conflict or breakage)."

This doesn't reflect current APT-reality through, as it will check the
version number of the provider against the attached version number
instead. So this might or might not be what you want.
I wouldn't depend on that either way…

I think dpkg does it as advertised, but i am not sure.
Haven't checked other dpkg-frontends.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies