Re: The future of non-dependency-based boot

[Moray Allan]
> With similar intention, I wondered about the possibility of running
> scripts without the LSB headers after everything else.  (= implied
> dependency on those with LSB headers)

The intention of the current implementation is to assume such scripts
depend on $syslog and $remote_fs, and at one point in time I believe
this worked just fine.  But I have seen bug reports indicating that
this no longer is true.

As Debian should support init.d scripts as long as the Linux Software
Base require it, I believe it is worth spending some time making sure
init.d scripts work properly in Debian.  Of the around 1000 packages
with init.d scripts in Debian, I suspect at most 100 of them would
need to provide upstart/systemd configuration to make the boot robust
and correct, and the rest of the packages can keep using their
existing init.d scripts.
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen