Time to remove 32/64-bit variants of GMP?

Similar to a recent question from J. Berkenbilt [1], I'd like to
understand whether there is still value in producing 32- and 64-bit
variants of the GMP packages.

GMP is already Multi-Arch enabled, but it still produces a 32-bit
library for certain 64-bit architectures and, similarly, a 64-bit
library for certain 32-bit architectures.  Can a package from 32-bit
i386 be used on amd64 instead of lib32gmp?  And similarly for other
architectures?

Recently, I've been given a patch set to build lib64gmp10 on sparc.
I'd rather rely on multiarch for this, if possible.

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/03/msg00762.html