Re: usefulness of ITPs (Re: mosh ITP not done, just package name taken over)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 05:06:55PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf@debian.org> writes:
> > e) useful to prevent a duplicate work.
>
> Pointless if the package is uploaded the moment the BTS responds with
> the bug number for the ITP, which was the hypotetical.

That was Joey's hypothetical, iirc, and I don't really agree with his
supposition that initial packaging is such quick work that the ITP
delay is significant.

Not all developers are as hyper-efficient as Joey Hess, for some of us
preparing a package is not a 5 minute job. Filing an ITP *before* embarking on
the initial packaging work at least minimizes the risk of two developers doing
independent work at the same time.  If one developer spots the ITP, they can
either cede to the person who got the ITP in first, or offer to help.

> In the simple case:
>
> 1) file ITP with the infos you put in debian/control
> 2) dh_make
> 3) write debian/control (cut&paste the description, homepage, ... from the ITP)
> 4) write debian/copyright
> 5) remove some example files
> 6) build, test, upload
>
> If you have a BTS turnaround time of 2h then there certainly is enough
> time to finish.

For rock stars such as yourself and Joey ☺ I rarely have a straight run of two
hours to spare, even if it were to take that long and not longer.

--
Jon Dowland