Re: On init in Debian

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > While obviously the C components of other init systems are bug free.
>
> They are enormously smaller, so any bug is much less likely to be in
> the C portion.  (And an implementation of similar functionality in C
> is likely to be more buggy than an implementation in another language
> given suitable primitives.)
>
> This is for me a major reason not to like systemd.

Libc is 1.6M on my system, considerably larger than the binary for any of the
init systems we are considering.  I've been using Debian since 1996 and
haven't yet had to build my own libc.  Also in my years of tracking
Debian/Unstable (most of the time since 1996) I have only encountered one
noteworthy bug in libc6, one upgrade broke it but a new version was released
very quickly - and in any case my system was not in a good state to run gcc.