Re: thoughts on blocking and downgrade attacks agains secure APT

(sorry for the double posting,.. my MUA crashed in between)

One addition immediately which is however not directly related to the
discussion.

I stumbled across those issues when I spent some thoughts on the
check_apt test from Nagios.

I wanted a fully secure way to be notified when updates are in place
(but not having them automatically installed).

As you can imagine now, the issues described above apply to check_apt,
too, and an attacker could trick me into not recognising available
updates.

I've opened a Nagios bug #300
(http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=300) asking for improvements.
I describe the general issue there, but I have so far no details on how
it should securely "access" APT to gather the necessary information.

Which Debian secure APT experts could I ask for help with this? :)

Cheers,
Chris.