Re: Important information regarding upcoming dpkg 1.16.2 upload

Hi,  I like dselect, dpkg, and aptitude.  I have a request.  aptitude should import and export

	/var/lib/dpkg/status

At least when asked.  Right now aptitude takes awkwardly and but doesn't give back.

It's not just private selections. Private methods and worse pivate status make other programs impossible.

"aptitude : attempts to detect status of dpkg or dselect" That's is far short of par - noting how sipmle the task of using human readable status as save format is.

	/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstatus

	(also it uses pieced avail lists/ instead of unified avail in dpkg/ )

pkgstatus contains incorrect information! and it codes states "1 3 3 4" while using wide text for everything but that.

My main concern is the these "states" for aptitude are private data - excluding other software - and covering up why things are wrong. (takeover issues)

Lastly, an end user (me) can make install errors by using aptitude, dpkg, apt-get, dselect not realizing that aptitude uses privatized unshared current system disk status that isn't what dpkg uses (and how would you know if it's not in a status file to see?)

There's a way to get aptitude states maybe by relying on dump software. Though relying on anyone keeping dumpers efficient and up to date simply isn't a great idea.

a more efficient status file (table) is maybe a good idea but using object dumps for system status - not wise.

Thanks much i enjoy aptitude and dselect both :)

John

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/dep-trace

	see examples

	new ver not yet uploaded show specific depends order of all in status
	 which it can't do without status [and dpkg --compare-versions]

	anohter script has demonstrated it then can use dpkg to , optionally ,
	use current status dependancy order as an order to install new packages