Re: Enabling hardened build flags for Wheezy

On 03/02/2012 05:53 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:12:16AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:

>>> That sounds complicated, since there are separate compiler flags for every
>>> object (which may not match) and then the linker flags used to assemble
>>> the final executable or shared object.  Does ELF give you object-specific
>>> comment areas?
>>
>> You can have a comment sections generated for each object (as a matter
>> of fact, gcc does that already to put its version), and the linker
>> aggregates them in a single section.
>>
>> I'm not a big fan of cluttering ELF binaries for a relatively small
>> benefit. Except maybe if that's moved with the debug info in
>> /usr/lib/debug.
>
> Yeah, I'm not sure what it'd look like, but I would want to see it
> upstream. Besides being an intrusive change, there are other projects
> interested in this kind of post-build analysis.
>
> -Kees

if I understood it correctly gcc 4.7 will support adding its switches to
the debugging data:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.7/changes.html
Other significant improvements
 A new option (-grecord-gcc-switches) was added that appends compiler
command-line options that might affect code generation to the
DW_AT_producer attribute string in the DWARF debugging information.