Systemwide desktop icons

Hi there.

I need to setup some software which need to be available for all users
as desktop link.

For kde3 (yep, we're still using it) there
was /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop dir, where I could put .desktop

But I also want Gnome and XFCE users to have such links, and can't find
any standard places (in xdg or somewhere else).

The only ideas I got: add some autostart xdg entry which will add this
icon using xdg-desktop-icon, but this is too annoying for those users,
who don't want such links.

Did I miss something?

PS. I'm speaking not about general package for Debian distribution, but
about deploying some professional software for customer, using Debian.
They really need this icon on their desktops.

Best regards,
 Alexander GQ Gerasiov

 e-mail:    gq@cs.msu.su             Jabber:  gq@jabber.ru
 Homepage:  http://gq.net.ru         ICQ:     7272757
 PGP fingerprint: 04B5 9D90 DF7C C2AB CD49  BAEA CA87 E9E8 2AAC 33F1