Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, "Marco d'Itri" <md@linux.it> wrote:
> > them. But that isn't really the kernels fault. It's udevs fault for not
> > supporting both ways from the start.
>
> Talk is cheap. Supporting both sysfs layouts would have had a
> significant maintenance overhead.
> Red Hat does not support upgrading between two major releases, so they
> have no incentive to support old kernels.

One thing that would be really convenient in such situations is the ability to
have the old and new versions of the package installed such that the new
version would run the old version if appropriate.

The problem with a kernel upgrade is that sometimes it doesn't work as desired
and the ability to roll back to the older version is desirable, it sometimes
takes a significant amount of time to be sure that the new kernel works well.
Having a new udev lock in the new kernel version and make a downgrade
impossible can be painful.  This bit me on one of my servers, I can't remember
what failure made me temporarily want to go back to the old kernel but I
remember how it didn't work due to udev.