Re: source-contains-waf-binary tag added to nonfatal lintian autoreject list

Jelmer Vernooij writes ("Re: source-contains-waf-binary tag added to nonfatal lintian autoreject list"):
> On 02/26/2012 03:00 PM, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> > lintian 2.5.5, recently uploaded in unstable, introduced a new tag
> > called "source-contains-waf-binary", which checks whether waf "binary"
> > is available in source packages. Please see [0] for further information.
> Would an acceptable alternative be if there was a way to edit the
> original sources and regenerate the 'waf' file in some way, either from
> other files in the same source package (an unpacked wafadmin/ directory)
> or using some other package in the archive (e.g. a waf package)?
>
> This would be similar to the way 'configure' files generated by autoconf
> are treated at the moment.

Is there any reason why this regeneration of the "waf" file couldn't
or shouldn't be done automatically on every build ?

If "waf" is rebuilt each time by debian/rules build, then I think
there would be no dfsg-based objection to having a source package
which happens to start out with an existing copy of the same "waf".

If the upstream source package contains a "waf" that isn't identical
to the one which would be generated then there are more complicated
problems relating to regeneration of diffs :-/.

Ian.