Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

Thibaut Paumard <mlotpot.news@free.fr> writes:

> Le 09/02/12 15:53, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> now that a multiarch dpkg has been uploaded to experimental it looks
>> like we can finaly get rid of ia32-libs* for wheezy.
>>
>> !!!HURAY!!!
>>
>> The problem now is the transition:
>>
>> 1) multiarch and ia32-libs are incompatible
>>[...]
>> What this means is that users that want to use multiarch should remove
>> ia32-libs (and lib32* really) soonest.
>
> Couldn't you make ia32-libs a meta-package pulling the multiarch version
> of the libs it used to include ?

Waiting on ftp-master confirmation for this. The idea (see earlier in
the thread) was to have

Package: ia32-libs
Architecture: amd64
Depends: ia32-libs-i386

Package: ia32-libs-i386
Architecture: i386
Depends: libfoo, libbar, libbaz, ...
Multi-Arch: foreign

The trick with an extra package would avoid the not yet permitted
"Depends: libfoo:i386" syntax.

MfG
        Goswin