Re: Default display manager should not be gdm3

The Fungi <fungi@yuggoth.org> writes:

> Maybe I don't use enough of the whiz-bang graphicky features lots of
> people want, but I find logging into a vty and launching startx, just
> like I have for decades, to work just fine. I'm certainly not going to
> begrudge others their pointy-clicky fanciness, but I also don't expect
> it to be particularly more stable or tunable than other operating
> systems where that sort of interface is de rigueur.

I probably missed some key thing that makes this work, but the last time I
tried, using startx when you want to launch a desktop environment like
GNOME or Xfce was quite painful and confusing.

I do use startx on those systems where I just use fvwm2, but for a desktop
environment it was much easier to get things working when starting with a
login manager like gdm3.