Re: Pre-depends for iptables-persistent on dpkg >= 1.15.7.2~

Hi,

Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> In a recent bug report [0] Colin Watson requested this change in order to
> remove some 'if dpkg-maintscript-helper supports' crutches.
>
> This change is academic for Debian but assists our friends in Ubuntu-land
> (it also makes the postinst simpler, but the difference is small).
>
> In accordance with Policy §7.2, please raise objections in a reasonable
> time frame. If consensus is reached, I will implement it in a future upload
> of iptables-persistent.

Something relatively high in the stack pre-depending on dpkg with a
version requirement that is already satisfied in squeeze.  And as
Colin explained, using the Pre-Depends instead of "if
dpkg-maintscript-helper supports" makes the maintainer script way
easier to rely on and reason about.

Looks like a good change to me.  (But: this is just my own opinion.
IANADD.)

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan