Re: Debian 5.0 support for VMware ESX 3.5/4.0/ESXi 4.1

Le 15 février 2012 16:40, Piotrek P <to.think.about@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Dear All,
Hi,

> Please be aware that VMware ESX 3.5 is NOT supporting any of Debian as Guest OS.
> Please be aware that VMware ESXi 4.1 IS supporting Debian 4.0, 5.0 as Guest OS.
> Please be aware that VMware ESX 5.0 IS supporting Debian 4.0, 5.0, 6.0
> as Guest OS.

You probably take this information from the VMware compatibility guide [1].

This guide says that "Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7" is supported on ESX
4.1U2, 4.1U1, 4.1 and ESXi 5.0. "Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8" is only
supported on ESXi 5.0.

Given the small amount of changes between those two stable releases
[2], we can have some doubt about this compatibility list.

[1]: http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php
[2]: http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110122

> I would like to ask:
> - What does it means for users of Debian 5.0 on ESXi 4.1 if support of
> Debian 5.0 will end?

You can install Debian 6.0.x and tell VMware that it is Debian 5. It
will work. Installing open-vm-tools [3] in the guest will give better
compatibility and performance.

This setup is not officially supported by vmware (do you pay for
vmware support? If so, ask them directly. If not don't expect much
from them).

[3]: http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=open-vm-tools

> - What about repositories of Debian 5.0?

The lenny repository will stay here for some time, but without
security updates. After some time, it will go to
http://archive.debian.org/.

IMO, upgrading to squeeze is better than no "official" support from VMware.

> - How can I obtain informations about major changes in packages that
> were changed in Debian 6.0 and future releases?

There are news on http://www.debian.org/News/, the squeeze (6.0)
release is described at http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110205a
(also look at point-releases 6.01, 6.0.2, ...)

> - What is official statement of VMware about not supporting newest
> versions of Debian OS?

Don't know. You can ask them...

> - How is it possible to be updated if VMware is not supporting newest
> version of Debian OS?
I'm not sure to understand this question.

> Many thanks for answers.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter P.

Regards