Re: Multiarch file overlap summary and proposal (was: Summary: dpkg shared / reference counted files and version match)

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Russ Allbery wrote:
> There's been a lot of discussion of this, but it seems to have been fairly
> inconclusive.  We need to decide what we're doing, if anything, for wheezy
> fairly soon, so I think we need to try to drive this discussion to some
> concrete conclusions.

Thanks for this.

> 2. Files like the above but that are compressed.  This is most common in
>    the doc directory for things like README or the upstream changelog.
>    Upstream man pages written directly in *roff fall into this category as
>    well, for -dev packages.  With Steve's point above about gzip, I think
>    we're probably okay using refcounting for this as well.

Yes, but I would still document at the policy level that, when feasible
without downsides, it's best to move compressed files in a shared package.

Also it might be wise to relax the policy rules on compression for
multi-arch: same and to let dh_compress not compress (some) files in such
packages.

> Does this seem comprehensive to everyone?  Am I missing any cases?

It's a good summary, yes.

> If this is comprehensive, then I propose the following path forward, which
> is a mix of the various solutions that have been discussed:

I agree with this plan.

> * The binNMU process is changed to add the binNMU changelog entry to an
>   arch-qualified file (changelog.Debian.arch, probably).  We need to
>   figure out what this means if the package being binNMU'd has a
>   /usr/share/doc/<package> symlink to another package, though; it's not
>   obvious what to do here.

I wonder what's the proper way to handle this. In theory, it would be nice
to deal with that at the dpkg-dev level but dpkg-dev is not at all
involved in installing the changelog. And I believe that the bin-nmu
process just adds a top-level entry to debian/changelog.

So the code should go to dh_installchangelogs... but it doesn't seem to be
a good idea to put the bin-nmu logic there in particular since we might
extend it (see #440094).

Somehow my suggestion is then to extend dpkg-parsechangelog to provide
the required logic to split the changelog in its bin-nmu part and its
usual content.

dpkg-parsechangelog --split-binnmu <binnmu-part-file> <remaining-part-file>

Then dh_installchangelogs could try to use this (and if it fails, fallback
to the standard changelog installation).

Does that sound sane? If yes, I can have a look at implementing this.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer