Re: Summary: dpkg shared / reference counted files and version match

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>, 2012-02-11, 11:15:
* Deploying refcnt means that M-A:same packages must always be at the same exact installed version, so that the file contents can match.
More difficult upgrade paths, as this ties the different arch dependency trees around M-A:same barriers.

By allowing co-installation of two different versions of the same package, you are opening a can of worms, regardless of whether refcnt is implemented or not.

I'm tempted to agree but I can't come up with a good reason.

I did have some scary scenarios in mind when I wrote this, but it was apparently because:
a) it was middle of the night;
b) "let's arch-qualify everything" didn't fit well my mental model.

So please disregard what I wrote in this point. Sorry for the noise.

It shall be noted that if we allow co-installation of different versions, then we should disallow sharing files not only shipped directly in .deb, but also created by maintainer scripts.

Some MA:same packages currently try to share data created by maintainer scripts, and probably (almost?) all of them do it wrong. See #647428 for an example.

--
Jakub Wilk