Re: MATE Desktop Environment in Debian

Le mercredi 08 février 2012 à 00:53 +0100, Stefano Karapetsas a écrit :
> Many users are using it well. Now that this is enough stable, I begun
> the process for ask the inclusion in Debian.
> The first package is mate-common.
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658783 (ITP)
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2012/02/msg00115.html (RFS)
> With this mail I wish to have opinions and suggestions about our work
> from Debian Developers.

MATE introduces a lot of code duplication, which is considered bad in
Debian, and is based on obsolete technologies - not just GTK2, which
will of course remain for a long time, but also things like Bonobo which
very few people really understand, and which are the cause of a lot of
not-well-understood bugs.

For these reasons I object to having MATE in Debian. OTOH I invite you
to contribute to GNOME 3 packaging to make it look great and fix
remaining regressions.
I am of course not the one to decide whether your packages can be
accepted; the FTP masters will.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette