Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:41:37 +0100, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> On Jan 27, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Do I understand you correctly that an empty configuration file in /etc
> > will override its 'full' equivalent in /usr? I.e., just an empty file
> > full of comments saying "this is what you can do with this file" will
> > break some things?
> This is correct.
>
> > If so, are there some things in udev which intrinsically depend on that
> > behaviour?
> Documentation and consistency with all other distributions.
>
> The only alternative solution which I consider acceptable would be to
> move everything back to /etc and then symlink the /usr/lib/ directory to
> the /etc/ directory.
> But I am sure that you can understand why this transition would be hard
> and messy for the maintainers of the affected packages at this point in
> time.
>
> BTW, I want to point out that Rusty Russell neatly summarized the points
> of the / to /usr argument: http://rusty.ozlabs.org/?p=236 .

Marvelous -- I particularly like his "Separate /usr has become
increasingly unsupported anyway." which reminds me of the argument for
Software Patents in Europe, which is that the EPO have been issuing
Software Patents in defiance of the law for ages, so clearly the right
thing to do is to change the law to fit the facts.

Thanks for moving the argument forward by pointing out such cogent
reasoning.

Cheers, Phil.