Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46:07AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> While I agree that forking upstream is not necessarily the right thing
> to do, allow me to ask some things just so I understand things
> better...
>
> Do I understand you correctly that an empty configuration file in /etc
> will override its 'full' equivalent in /usr? I.e., just an empty file
> full of comments saying "this is what you can do with this file" will
> break some things?

> If so, are there some things in udev which intrinsically depend on that
> behaviour?

I can give an example of this one.  Placing an empty
75-persistent-net-generator.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d is the recommended
way to prevent udev from allocating your network devices to fixed
static MAC addresses (something it otherwise does which is the bane of
a virtual machine admin's life, and which makes things generally harder
when you want to help non-Linux people in swapping network cards over).

Nick