Re: cross-build-essential

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:10:28PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> Having just been looking at sbuild cross-support it becomes clear that
> something like this would be a very useful adititon.
>
> Can anyone see any reason why we shouldn't just have
> $arch-crossbuild-essential which depends on the right things?
>
> It can easily be adjusted to be right for the distro it's in, and
> removes the need for livebuilder, sbuild, multistrap etc to know
> internally.

>From the sbuild POV, this would greatly simplify things, and make
support for all architectures much more robust.  Not having
to hard code per-arch package lists and being able to handle it
just like we currently handle build-essential would, IMO, be a
Good Thing.

If it were to use the same file format that build-essential uses,
we would be able to reuse that.

Regards,
Roger

--