Re: Ownership issue when repacking source in get-orig-source target

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:18:53PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 22:07 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > I was concerned about an issue Charles Plessy reported in a recent
> > thread on Debian Med when he realised that the directories in the
> > unpacked tarball are featuring his UID/GID.  I simply looked into the
> > uscan source how it is be done there and found:
> >
> >    GZIP=-9 tar --owner=root --group=root --mode=a+rX -czf <target_tarball> <source_dir>
> >
> > I think this is also to weak because gzip seems to have the behaviour to
> > not always create byte identical results without the option --no-name
>
> fwiw, all of the calls to gzip in uscan from devscripts 2.11.3 use
> "-n" (i.e. --no-name).  That's only just changed for zip re-packing but
> has been used for bz2 re-packing since 2009.

Ahh, changelog of latest devscripts says:

  * uscan:
    + Use "gzip -n" when repacking zip files.  Thanks to Franz Schrober for
      the patch.  (Closes: #646691)

While #646691 says:

   [uscan] --repack from zip creates different file each time

This at least answers the question whether anybody cares.

So if this really seems to be an issue what do you think about my
suggestion to do the tarball creation in a script which besides inside
uscan could be used in get-orig-source targets?

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de