Re: Removing web server dependencies from web apps

]] Thomas Goirand

> On 01/06/2012 04:34 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> > It depends which is more common
>
> I don't see why we would steer on the direction of the most common
> thing only. What we want is something that works all the time, no?
> If we remote the web server dependency, it works all the time.

No, it then breaks if you don't install the package by hand.

> Don't you think that someone who can setup a PHP app, also knows
> that it will need apache, and that apt-get install apache2 is quite an
> easy thing to do?

That argument can be taken ad absurbum quite easily.  Don't you know
that ssh requires libssl0.9.8g?  Everybody knows that, you should just
grab it by hand.

> > How many of these packages do clever things upon installation like
> > setup their own virtual hosts or similar?
>
> None, because that's forbidden by the Debian policy.

Where is that forbidden?

If the problem is the full overhead of apache2, just install mini-httpd
or monkey or similar and then disable them.  They weigh in at a few
hundred k each, so shouldn't be a problem for you.  Or just use equivs
as other people have suggested.

--
Tollef Fog Heen