Re: Removing web server dependencies from web apps

On 01/06/2012 07:07 PM, Olivier Bonvalet wrote:
> Le 06/01/2012 08:56, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
>>
>> The issue is that most PHP packages in Debian have dependencies on web
>> servers, most of the time with something like this:
>>
>> Depends: apache2 | httpd, libapache2-mod-php5 | php5-cgi
>>

> For info, web apps which are not in PHP like redmine which use Ruby
> doesn't depend of apache2 or any other http server.
> So why should we depends of it for PHP apps only ?
Yeah, that's my point as well!

Also, with the dependency set like as above, if you remove
"apache2 | httpd", then apt / dpkg will pickup libapache2-mod-php5,
which depends on apache2 anyway, so apache will be installed
by default unless you explicitly install php5-cgi.

This is why I think the solution of moving apache2 | http as
a Recommends: is a good compromise.

Never mind, it seems there's more people against my idea
than some thinking it was a smart one, so I'll hack with equivs
(which I didn't know) and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Thomas