Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

Hi all,

2012/1/4 Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>:
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 at 20:20:42 +0000, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
>> Enrico Weigelt, 2011-12-31 03:55+0100:
>> > IMHO this is completely wrong, those files should be under
>> > /usr/lib/... or maybe even /usr/share/... as they're not
>> > dynamic data.
>>
>> Well, when people install new plugins or new themes, they get installed
>> on the same directory, so I decided that it was less surprising to have
>> packaged files that people will not touch under /var than to have user
>> files under /usr.
>
> Roundcube seems to be in a similar situation. In Debian, it installs to
> /etc and /usr (as appropriate for each file) but sets its "home path" to
> /var/something, then populates /var/something with a symlink farm. That
> might be a useful solution here?

The same was also done for mediawiki at least when I was maintaining
it. I also wish the wordpress packagers would do the same in order to
be able to install plugins and themes simply.

I once proposed to push for a general policy regarding this symlink
trick for webapps and even to write a debhelper but it did not seem to
appeal to anyone. I am still convinced, though, that it should be
standard practice.

Romain