Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Jan 01, Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> Would we really need that? If I understand correctly, the / to /usr will
> merely mean that
>   People who want to have /usr on separate partition will need initramfs.
It does not even mean that they would need to use initramfs-tools, there
are a few possible alternative solutions if anybody cared enough to
implement them.
I believe that creating a generic initramfs with busybox-static which
can mount /usr defined on the kernel command line would take a couple of
hours at most (and it could even be embedded in a custom kernel!).