Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 07:54:34PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> The numerous upstreams which follow this model introduced it
> specifically *because* of distributions and package management, which
> they specifically had in mind as a design constraint.  The "search path"
> behavior, along with the consistent use of .d directories, allows a
> clean distinction between upstream configuration, vendor/distribution
> configuration (any changes Debian wants to make to the defaults),
> sysadmin overrides of the defaults, and sysadmin configuration building
> on the defaults, without forcing sysadmins to perform manual three-way
> merges every time they upgrade.

It also either (a) prevents upstream from ever changing that default or
(b) silently breaks packages for the user.  If option foo is set to bar
in the upstream configuration and then upstream changes it to baz, the
package breaks for the sysadmin.  If the configuration were stored in
/etc, the sysadmin would get notified by dpkg or ucf and would have an
opportunity to change it.  So the only sane thing to do is not change
the default, ever.

This does not sound to me like an especially robust model.