Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:

> My experience is rather that people usually stick to their core packages
> as personal property and won't except patches to make them more well
> behaved.

That experience aside, we're not talking about patches here, assuming
Marco's description of the situation is correct.  We're talking about a
full-blown fork and a need for a new udev upstream.  You don't need to
send patches to anyone for that; you need to set up a Git repository, a
web page, a development mailing list, some infrastructure around how
you're going to maintain the software, and start doing regular releases,
and then see about getting Debian to switch upstreams.

> If people maintain some core piece of software and want to decide what
> the package looks like, listen to what other people want.

This isn't about the package.  It's about the *software*, the part that we
generally use from upstream as much as possible because asking people to
be both upstream and the Debian package maintainer is generally too much
work for one person or even a small packaging team.