Managing left-over control files

Hi,

I'm writing a transitional package to handle a software name change.
The transitional package 'depends' on the new package, which itself
'replaces' the old package and takes over some of its control files.
All other control files still belong to the transitional package after
an upgrade.

I have to remove some of those old control files, because they are in
conflict with files from the new package.  But then I think I should
also make the transitional package forget about them.

How do I properly handle the old control files?  How do I tell a package
that a specific file does not belong to this package anymore?  I guess
the same questions might arise when the set of control files changes
with a new package version.

Thanks,
Malte