Re: options: was Red Hat is moving from / to /usr/

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 18:55 -0700, Gordon Haverland wrote:
> I'm a UN*X dinosaur.  I started using UN*X in 1984.
>
> I don't like this idea of folding /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin into
> /usr/bin.
>
> I think the reasons to segregate /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin
> and anything in /usr/local/* still exist today.

Which reasons?  They changed from time to time.  Last time I looked,
on a Debian system /sbin did not contain statically-linked binaries.

> I want more segregation, not less.  Actually, I've wanted all the
> config for /usr to be in /etc/usr (which is a symlink to /usr/etc)
> for a long time.
>
> But, by the time anyone hear of efforts such as this, there seldom
> seems to be time to stop them.
>
> Hence, my question is, if this continues to happen, what do we
> move to for a kernel?  Free-BSD?  Plan 9?  Something else?  Is
> anyone working on a migration scheme?

FreeBSD userland is largely a throwback to the 90s, so it's probably
just what you're looking for.

Plan 9 has precisely the unification you so hate.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Computers are not intelligent.	They only think they are.