Re: Work-needing packages report for Dec 9, 2011

]] Russ Allbery

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > Maybe we should consider closing those bugs after a while?  While I'm
> > sure help for grub2 would be welcome, are people actually going to see
> > that bug which is about 7.6 years old?  What are the criteria for
> > closing the bugs?
>
> Yeah, I've been wondering about that for a while too.  Part of the problem
> is that I've yet to meet an open source package that couldn't use more
> help in one sense or another.  So there's no clear "we now have sufficient
> help" point.

I've always (well, since they were introduced) thought about the RFH
bugs as either «we're now starting a team effort to fix up $package,
please come and help» and more commonly: «I'm stuck maintaining this
package with a mostly nonexistent/dysfunctional team, if somebody else
who uses this would like to chip in, it'd be great».  So, a way to
highlight sore spots and get attention.

A «please help me» bug that's been open for an average of almost three
years isn't getting attention, nor highlighting anything.

--
Tollef Fog Heen