Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > There are quite good reasons why you wouldn't want to do thing that
> > way though. We should at least do our best not to make things
> > unreasonably difficult for people in this situation, even if we chose
> > not to really 'support' it.
> We need to understand if these people object to using an initramfs in
> principle or just to the ones generated by initramfs-tools.

The real nastyness of initramfs-like stuff is that it _will_ cause grief
if you fail to update it when you edit /etc/fstab, mdadm / lvm /
device-mapper config, etc in some configs.  It is also slower.

initramfs-tools is rather good at what it does, I doubt it is the
problem.  That doesn't mean there is not anything to improve in our
helpers (and therefore in the initramfs itself), and initramfs-tools
could use better documentation last time I checked (a few months ago).

  Henrique Holschuh