Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 08:16:57PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 07, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
>
> > If this is the future way and the way the developer want to go, then
> > the way will succeed in time, but as Goswin said, it will take time.
> >
> > The admins who think the new way is bad will not change their
> > systems.  New admins may think otherwise, and if the old server will
> > be replaced, they change the system to the new way.
> I do not think you understand well the issue: we cannot accomodate
> everybody, this is not just a matter of local policy.
> Two issues are being discussed here:
> - mounting /usr in the initramfs
> - symlinking /bin, /sbin and /lib to their /usr counterparts[1]
>
> The first feature sooner or later will be needed to support some major
> software: this is not just about udev, it going to be required soon by
> major desktop/gnome components.

Please excuse me if I misunderstand things, but there was no information
about this in the previous thread: why would gnome _ever_ care when /usr
is mounted?

This seems like a violation of proper layering, if the desktop software
care about such minute details of the boot sequence.

Am I just misunderstanding things? (I hope so!)

iustin