Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

On 12/08/2011 06:47 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> For those who haven’t followed, the latest debhelper upload includes the
> following change:
>
>    * Debhelper config files may be made executable programs that output the
>      desired configuration. No further changes are planned to the config file
>      format; those needing powerful syntaxes may now use a programming language
>      of their choice. (Be careful aiming that at your feet.)
>      Closes: #235302, #372310, #235302, #614731,
>      Closes: #438601, #477625, #632860, #642129
>
> So, to sum it up. Before, you would do in debian/rules:
>         sed s/@DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH@/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}/ debian/libfoo.install.in > debian/libfoo.install
>
> Now, you will do in debian/foo.install:
>         #! /bin/sh
>         sed s/@DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH@/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)/ << EOF
>         …
>         EOF
> (Bonus points for implementing this in a different language for each
> package.)
>
> Now that we’ve made incredible progress in terms of obfuscation, I’d
> appreciate if we could have a working solution that does not require
> scripting for the most trivial operations. So what remains?
>       * Convincing Joey to revert this useless change and actually
>         commit something useful.
>       * NMU debhelper.
>       * Technical committee.
>       * Fork dh_install in a new package.
>
> Any comments before someone starts doing either of these?

Disclaimer: I didn't write any multiarch packaging (yet).

The incentive for doing all this seems to be multiarch. Why
instead don't we have a mechanism to have variables in
debian/*.install instead, or a dh_helper to move things to
the multiarch folder instead of /usr/lib (or anything you would
find a better mechanism), so that we don't have to use tricks to
make files reach the correct destination?

Putting manual efforts into moving things to the correct
multiarch folder seem to be quite annoying, the fact that
it would be in debian/rules or in debian/*.install doesn't
change much the issue: in both case we need to put efforts
into it, which can lead to all sorts of various issues which
wouldn't happen if we had the correct automation.

Comments anyone?

Thomas