Re: ecofont

Please do not top-post: http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 09:36:36AM +0000, 810d4rk wrote:
> There is currently a discussion in libreoffice devel mailing list
> about this type of font and there is also a discussion about the
> license: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-December/date.html

For the sake of the list, this is a discussion started by you, in parallel to
this one. I would have asked you to point them at the prior discussions in
Debian re the license, but thankfully they seem to have found them
independently.

If you are really keen to get ecofont into LO, Debian or any other F/OSS
project, I would suggest to you that you take the idea and re-implement it on
top of a truly free font. I don't think it must be that difficult to write an
algorithm to punch holes in existing glyphs.  The licensing terms are a deal-
breaker, and it doesn't look like EcoFont is legally distributable at all.

However, [1] (from the LO thread) suggests that this is entirely a waste of
time, and a leaner glyph saves more ink anyway, whilst remaining legible.

[1] http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/century-gothic-saves-more-ink-than-ecofont.html

--
Jon Dowland