Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 07 Dec 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> So, to sum it up. Before, you would do in debian/rules:
>>         sed s/@DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH@/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}/ debian/libfoo.install.in > debian/libfoo.install
>>
>> Now, you will do in debian/foo.install:
>>         #! /bin/sh
>>         sed s/@DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH@/$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)/ << EOF
>>         â?¦
>>         EOF
>
> Although, honestly, you could always do this in debian/rules with
>
>  override_dh_auto_install:
>     debian/libfoo.install.sh > debian/libfoo.install
>     dh_install;
>
> so besides the breakage generated by extraneously executable
> libfoo.install files, not much has changed in terms of obfuscation.
> That said, explicitly calling the appropriate script to generate the
> install file before the various dh_* bits were engaged is a bit
> clearer.
>

> Don Armstrong

Or for the more general case:

override_dh_auto_install:
    debian/libfoo.my-install-script

At least with an override it would be clear from debian/rules that there
is more going on there than just copying a few files.

This new feature stinks of black-box magic that will make people crazy
trying to find/fix a prolem in somebody elses package. The thing that
make cdbs so bad.

MfG
        Goswin