Re: Getting dh_install to do what we need

Hi,

I am pretty sure I'll regret to comment on this thread soonish, but ...

On 08.12.2011 00:12, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> I'd like to offer another option: deal with it, and instead of doing any
> of the above (none of which would be a good idea in the long run, except
> maybe the first - but I quite like this feature as it is), embrace
> it, and extend it.

I am one of those who see the upsides of this change as well.

There are quite a few limitations in dh_install you can come over by
using such a script in a yet semi-expected behavior as you get a
well-defined output to anyone trying to understand a foreign package.

Your own script-fu in debian/rules or external scripts isn't exactly the
next best thing to read and learn how a foreign package works and there
/are/ use cases where dh_install isn't flexible enough to deal with the
problem by using the possibilities you had before. Renaming files and
multi-arch support is what comes me in mind immediately.

Gergely's idea to support standardized scripts to be executed also
sounds like a good idea.

That said, I'd appreciate if we could limit the usage to scripts in a
more sane dimension. For example for dh_install only (I fail to see how
it would be useful to other debhelper scripts - does any of you see a
legit use case for another debhelper script?), and, most important, if
we could limit this behavior to debhelper compatibility level 9 to not
break any existing source package out there which might accidentally
have +x on such a file.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll