Re: Bits from dpkg developers - dpkg 1.16.1

* Bernd Zeimetz <bzed@debian.org> [110927 15:36]:
> > I'm one of the submitters of one of the bugs which requested this
> > change.  This is a reversion of dpkg to a previous behaviour, and it
> > /un/breaks packages.  Or at least I think it unbreaks much more than
> > it breaks.
>
> ACtually I think that is true - the exported *FLAGS broke various of the
> packages I maintain, mainly due to LDFLAGS breaking the build of Python
> extensions or other kinds of plugins.

CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (and CPPFLAGS and so on) are in my opionion normal
things to be in a users environment, so a package's rules file should
in my eyes not depend on them not being set or having any values sensible.

So while I think dpkg-buildpackage not setting something there which
could cause people to think using the environment in debian/rules for
those is OK is better than dpkg-buildpackage setting them,
I'd consider a dpkg-buildpackage that sets CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS
and LDFLAGS all to "-fyour-rules-file-is-broken" even better.

	Bernhard R. Link