Re: Bits from dpkg developers - dpkg 1.16.1

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> I should have been more explicit.  I was referring to dpkg-buildflags
> default outputs above.

I see, agreed then.

> I'm ok with the fact that each individual package will need to
> be changed to support this (vice forcing it into gcc).

I am not, I find it an utterly ridiculous course of action that will
result in incomplete coverage 5 years down the track.

The right way to do it would be to get GCC upstream to enable it by default.

Of course now that most packages have relied on dpkg for enabling -O2,
we would still need to fix them again, so that -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
works again.

--
bye,
pabs