Re: Format 3.0 (git) (was: Re: single-debian-patch (was Re: Bits from dpkg developers - dpkg 1.16.1))

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Charles Plessy wrote:
> If in a large number of cases where one would like to turn off the patch system
> of the 3.0 (quilt) format, the source package is stored in a Git repository,
> then one way to move forward would be to make the format 3.0 (git) available
> in Debian.  What are the blocking points ?

AFAIK, the _real_ problem is that the ftpmasters do not consiter it
acceptable to packages to ship their entire history, and that's a fatal
problem that has no simple solution.  Shipping the whole history means you
have to check the entire history for DFSG compliance.

There's also the nasty detail that you have to destroy history past any
point where an undistributable blob exists to make the whole thing
distributable.  Another problem is that you either face an unbounded
increase in size over time, or you have to ship git shallow clones, which
are not self-contained and very nasty to work with.

I don't think we will have 3.0 (git) in Debian anytime soon, if ever.

Corrections by any of the ftpmasters if I got any of this wrong, are very
welcome.

  Henrique Holschuh