Re: Format 3.0 (git)

Bernhard R. Link wrote:

> * Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> [110924 20:24]:
> > Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> >
> > > * Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> [110924 16:16]:
> > >
> > > But if it is some other version control system, which is easier then?
> >
> > Arguing against the developer's/maintainer's freedom of choice based on
> > a "feeling" about the learning curve imposed on an intangible group of
> > future contributors is faulty.
>
> Why do you state this tautology? Do you think it is in any way
> related to what I have written? How?

Not a tautology (as there's no repetition in that sentence); but simply
a consideration of a very important unstated consequence of your
argument.  Freedom is a balance.  Your argument boils down to taking
away a particular aspect of the maintainer's freedom (his/her freedom
to use a git format source package; if that ever becomes an option) in
favor of making itch scratching simpler (via git avoidance).  Not
considered is the fact that that contributors are certainly still free
to scratch their itches even when they're difficult to reach.  And hey,
they can even solicit help in that case, and they may learn and one day
be able to scratch that itch themselves ;)

Best wishes,
Mike