single-debian-patch (was Re: Bits from dpkg developers - dpkg 1.16.1)

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 08:17:54AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> we just released dpkg 1.16.1 to unstable. It comes with several disruptive
> changes that you need to be aware of. Please read carefully.

> * “dpkg-source -b” on a “2.0” or “3.0 (quilt)” source package will fail
>   if it detects upstream changes which are not managed by a quilt patch.
>
>   You are expected to call “dpkg-source --commit” if you want to
>   record those changes permanently. In this process, you will have
>   to give a patch name and you will be invited to edit the DEP-3
>   headers[1] of the new patch.

This does break old-style use of "3.0 (sane)" (aka, goodies from 3.0 without
its only flaw, ie, quilt).

New-style: echo "single-debian-patch" >debian/source/options

It'd be nice if the error message pointed us to the new way.

Quilt pretty thoroughly breaks version control.  There are several tens of
attempts to reconcile them, with not a single one preserving all
functionality users of modern VCS take for granted: bisection, no massive
recompilation on trivial changes, keeping the history without duplication,
non-linear history, etc.  Please keep the support for quilt-less workflows.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!