Re: alternative dependency ordering - with respect of packages in main

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 08:19:32AM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> >  So *every* time a package outside of main is an installation candidate
> > the decision should be made, not once, very much indeed.

> As someone who doesn't care about licences

Since this effectively translates to not caring about the freedom of the
software you install, I think it's safe to say you're in the minority among
Debian users - and certainly among Debian developers.

I'm confident that Debian will continue to prefer to install only free
software as dependencies when installing from main, even when contrib and
non-free are enabled on the system.

> I disagree. The only way a non-free package is going to be automatically
> selected is if the sysadmin has added non-Main lines to sources.list, and the
> Maintainer has placed a non-Main package before one from Main in the
> dependency statement--that's two explicit actions that need to be taken,
> compared to zero if non-Main stuff isn't wanted.

The latter is not something the maintainer is allowed to do, because it's
making a decision for non-free software *on behalf of the user*.

If the free alternative doesn't work well enough to be listed first, then
the package depending on it belongs in contrib, *not* in main.

> I hope Debian would honour the Social Contract and put the needs of the
> users ahead of software freeness concerns in that case.

Do we have a name for the DFSG equivalent of Godwin's Law?  Because you just
failed it.