Re: alternative dependency ordering - with respect of packages in main

On 11-09-20 at 07:41pm, Luk Claes wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 01:12 PM, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >         Hi!
>
> Hi
>
> >  Policy is clear on packages in main aren't allowed to depend on
> > packages outside of main.  Now in a fair amount of cases this has
> > been worked around by having the package outside of main as
> > alternative dependency and a package in main offer basic
> > functionality for the package to still be able to work.

I am frankly surprised this behaviour is considered policy-compliant!

> >  Is it allowed for a package in main to have a package _outside_ of
> > main as first component of an alternative dependency?  The package
> > in question is extremely unlikely to ever be used as Build-Depends,
> > so this is of a more general question.
>
> Strictly speaking having an alternative dependency outside main is
> already bending the rules very far. The only reason I see why an
> alternative outside main is allowed, is that one could easily do
> something similar when using Provides.

I don't find it similar:

Setting "Depends:" or "Recommends" means the package in main encourages
the use of material outside of main.

Setting "Provides:" means the package outside of main encourages the use
of material outside of main.

Regards,

 - Jonas