Re: common CLI conventions?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 01:57:54PM +0700, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	I wonder, is there a kind of reference of the common command
> 	line interface conventions that the CLI's of the software
> 	included in Debian should adhere to?

We already have every popular style of command line interface convention
in Debian, and most of the unpopular ones, too. There's no consistency
across programs, and we basically just accept whatever upstream uses,
unless that has serious problems. Just being different from everything
else is not a serious problem, it's just bad taste.

(I'd love for us to mandate GNU command line parsing, but it's not
realistic.)

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/