Re: Could the multiarch wiki page be explicit about pkgconfig files?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 at 19:01:04 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 19 septembre 2011 à 12:52 -0400, Ted Ts'o a écrit :
> > OK, how about /usr/lib/<triplet>/debug/sbin/e2fsck?
> >
> > I just checked and gdb doesn't find the debugging symbols if I drop the
> > debug files under /usr/lib/<triplet>.  What is the planned "correct"
> > place for the debug files?
>
> The correct place for debug files is a hash-based path, instead of the
> crapfuck we have today.

... but until then, for gdb to pick them up, debug symbols for $THING must be
in /usr/lib/debug/$THING (a general rule, independent of multiarch),
resulting in paths like

    /usr/lib/debug/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3.6.3
    /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/dbus-send

for a typical multi-arch library and executable (those two are in dbus-dbg).

This means any -dbg package that contains symbols for an executable can't
have the Multi-Arch flag set on it yet, until we have the hash-based paths
Josselin mentions. The actual library can still usefully be Multi-Arch: same -
which would mean you can use it from binaries from more than one architecture,
but you can only debug one of those archs at a time.