Re: buildd machines vs. resource-hungry packages (ITK)

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 17.09.2011, 11:45 +0200 schrieb Bernd Zeimetz:
> On 09/17/2011 05:06 AM, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > I am having a huge problem getting insighttoolkit (ITK) to build due
> > to the fact that it takes a huge amount of disk, memory, and time to
> > build.  In fact, the build is now generally failing because either
> > disk or memory is exhausted.
> >
> > The main culprit behind the resource usage is the wrappers for Tcl,
> > Java, and Python.  The underlying ITK codebase consists of heavily
> > templated C++ libraries.  The wrapping process generates a huge amount
> > of code since many variants of each templated class are instantiated
> > and compiled.
>
> I have a similar issue with gmic - my workaround is to use -O0 on the
> architectures where it would fail to build due to exhausted memory.
>
> BUILDD_MEM := $(shell awk '/^MemTotal:/ {print $$2}' /proc/meminfo)
> BUILDD_MEM_OK := $(strip $(shell test $(BUILDD_MEM) -gt 1800000 && echo yes))
>
> ifneq (,$(findstring arm,$(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU)))
>   GMIC_CFLAGS = -g -O0
> else
>   ifneq (,$(findstring mips,$(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU)))
>     GMIC_CFLAGS = -g -O0
>   else
>     ifeq (yes,$(BUILDD_MEM_OK))
>       GMIC_CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)
>         else
>           GMIC_CFLAGS = -g -O0
>         endif
>   endif
> endif
>

> Not the best solution as it means that gmic will be slow(er) on arm and mips at
> least, but the only working solution.

That makes me wonder, if arm and mips are such weak architectures, isn’t
that even more a reason to want an optimized program there? -O0 can have
quite some impact on the performance....

So are we really building something that is useable and helpful for the
user, or are we just building it for the sake of having the package on
the arch, even though it is of little or no use?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner